Pages

February 14, 2010

Design Statement

It seems typical that the first step in this project is also one that I struggle with fundamentally. The first thing I'm supposed to do is write a "design statement". What does that even mean anyway? I always saw a design statement as a declaration of the overall philosophy behind a designer's creative process. Its a clarification/defense of a designer's unique "style". 


By this definition, I'm not sure I'm comfortable writing a design statement at this point in my career. I think that right now, as a student and soon-to-be young professional, I should be a stylistic chameleon. To pigeonhole myself into a style would be to stifle my growth. I want to learn. I want to absorb everything I can, process it and then let it manifest itself in my work naturally. I want to resist categorization. I guess, that is my design statement. For now, at least.


I want to resist categorization.


When I get my stationary system up and running, I'll write a fancier version to that effect and post it here as "documentation". Boosh. Step one in the bag.



No comments:

Post a Comment