Pages

August 28, 2010

Catch-Up


Hey everybody! Remember three months back when I said I was going to start writing more? If you don't remember, you can scroll down one post and refresh your memory, because I haven't written since then. Sorry about that folks. As it turned out, my new job combined with finding/moving into a new apartment, moving into financial independence, and a new lady friend to create a massive, time-cosuming hurricane. Summer is gone, and I have no idea where it went.

Lets catch up shall we? In the last few months, the satisfaction I get from my job at Gannett has declined in inverse proportion to my ability to do it well. While I've become very fast and efficient in InDesign and learned to navigate the bureaucratic circus that is working for an international company, I've also slowly become embittered by the monotony and just plain bad design I slog through every day. The first month I worked an overnight shift, and quickly lost my mind. July saw me move to the 5pm–1:30am shift, and I've recovered slightly at the cost of any evening social life I had before.

I am actively (desperately) seeking external outlets to maintain some design integrity and practice doing good work. Producing good design is nigh impossible at my job. The typical work day is spent squeezing a massive amount of customer submitted text into inappropriately small ad spaces. Any minimalist inclinations I may have are simply non-applicable...(sigh)... Oh well, the money is good enough. I'm committed so seeking a solution within Gannett at this point. Whether that means moving to online ads, or becoming a project coordinator, I can't say at the moment...

SO, that is why I've been unnoticeably absent this summer. Again, my sincerest apologies. I promise the drought is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment